Ref.02.17.99 Research Fellow – Theory of Quantum Nanostructures
Employer: International Iberian Nanotechnology Laboratory (INL)
Location: Braga, Portugal
Contract Duration: 24 months
Group: Theory of Quantum Nanostructures, led by Joaquín Fernández Rossier (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Closing Date: April 2nd 2017 23:00 (Lisbon time)
Salary: Competitive package and benefits
Starting date: as soon as possible after deadline
Introduction: INL is seeking a highly qualified, self-motivated postdoctoral researcher with a strong background in Condensed Matter Theory and/or Computational Material Science, to carry out research within the project » Nanotechnology based functional solutions» (P2020).
Job Requirements and Key Responsibilities
The selected candidate will carry out theoretical/computational research in the field of optical properties of 2D Materials. The main tasks will be:
1) To develop a systematic computational method that combines ab‐initio calculations and configuration interaction methodologies to account for excitonic effects that permit to explore the optoelectronic properties of vertical heterostructures combining different two‐dimensional crystals
2) To compute systematically vertical heterostructures combiningdifferent 2D crystals aiming to exhibit extraordinary performances in various figures of merits such as large absorption coefficient, large recombination time, fast photoresponse.
3) To study non‐linear optical response in these materials associated to the exciton‐exciton interactions.
Desired Skills and Experience
– Bachelor degree in Physics or Physics Engineering, or related area;
– PhD in condensed matter theory, computational material science, or computational chemistry;
-Experience with DFT methods in extended systems (solids) with focus on electronic properties, spin properties and optical response;
-Experience in computing optical response;
– Programming experience for numerical solution of Schrodinger equation;
– A solid track record of publications in reputed journals in the field of condensed matter, nanomaterials, and related areas.
- Strong motivation to carry out fundamental research in the proposed topic;
- Capability to work both independently and as part of a team with the ability to pay close attention to detail;
- Availability to attend workshops and conferences, and to engage in collaborations with researchers in other laboratories.
English is the working language of INL. Therefore, excellent communication skills in English are required.
What we offer
- Employment contract and competitive compensation package.
- Employees will also benefit of the various social facilities available at INL.
- International and highly competitive environment in contact with leading edge technology.
How to Apply: Click here
Interested applicants should submit CV, that includes their current affiliation and a chronologically ordered description of their research and training background, a motivation letter that includes a statement of research interest, a list of publications in indexed journals, a citation report, and the contact details of 2 referees to whom INL may request recommendation letters.
Bear in mind that incomplete applications will not be considered for evaluation. The application language is English.
If your application is successful and you accept our offer of employment you will receive the employment agreement and all other relevant documents. If you are relocating, you will be given assistance by the HR Unit.
If Your Application is Not Successful
We highly value the interest shown from applicants wishing to become a part of the INL experience. It is important for us to maintain good communications with candidates. No matter the outcome of the application, we always send the applicant an answer.
Equal Opportunity and Non-Discrimination Principle
INL is an equal opportunity organisation, committed to providing equal career opportunities and firmly adheres to a principle of non-discrimination in respect of gender, age, nationality, racial group, or any other possible discriminatory issues.
Enquires should be made to: email@example.com.
The advertisement deadline may be extended at any time without previous notice in order to improve the suitability and effectiveness of the recruitment process.
About INL: The International Iberian Nanotechnology Laboratory – INL (http://www.inl.int), was founded under an international legal framework to perform interdisciplinary research and to deploy and articulate nanotechnology for the benefit of society. INL aims to become the world-wide hub for nanotechnology addressing society’s grand challenges with specific emphasis on Aging & Wellbeing, Mobility & Urban Living and a Safe & Secure Society.
The work undertaken by our research centre will have a significant impact on people’s lives as well as largely contribute to the development of our society. INL recruits from all over the world and the objective of our recruitment process is to ensure that staff are employed on the basis of skills and requirements for the job and that there is a mutually beneficial relationship between INL’s expectations and the staff member´s personal and professional career development. We value the diversity and multiculturalism of our teams. Further, our family friendly working practices and benefits are a great asset and an essential element in cultivating an attractive and inspiring workplace.