Scope and goals
Topological materials constitute an exciting and very active research area in condensed matter physics. It studies new states of matter whose bulk properties are similar to those of ‘ordinary’ materials but that, at the same time, display edge or boundary states with very exotic properties. Since the discovery of topological insulators, roughly a decade ago, the field has rapidly expanded with the identification of other topological materials, such as topological superconductors and Weyl semimetals. This Summer School will gather leading international experts to provide an introduction to the basic concepts underlying topology in condensed matter systems, followed by a discussion of recent developments, with a focus on quantum transport and hybrid devices. The goal is to cover not only theoretical aspects, but to also address the experimental progress, including the detection and manipulation of states associated with these materials.
• Hybrid devices (quantum dots, nanowires, heterostrucutres).
• Topological insulators and superconductors.
• Weyl semimetals.
• Topological quantum computing.
Preliminary list of invited speakers
• Ramón Aguado (Instituto de Ciencia de Materiales de Madrid)
• Jason Alicea* (Caltech)
• Alberto Cortijo (ICMM-CSIC)
• Reinhold Egger (Heinrich-Heine University, Duesseldorf)
• Claudia Felser (Max Planck Institute for Chemical Physics, Dresden)
• Marcelo Goffman, (CEA, Saclay)
• Sophie Guéron (University of Paris Sud)
• Jelena Klinovaja (University of Basel)
• Leo Kouwenhoven (QuTech, Delft)
• Nadya Mason (University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign)
• Laurens Molenkamp (University of Wuerzburg)
• Fabrizio Nichele (Niels Bohr Institute, Copenhagen)
• Patrik Recher (TU Braunschweig)
• Seigo Tarucha (University of Tokyo)
• Felix von Oppen* (Freie Universitaet Berlin)
• Amir Yacoby (Harvard University)
• Shoucheng Zhang (Stanford University)
The full registration fee is 400 euros, and will fully cover accommodation expenses at ‘La Cristalera’ (including meals and coffee breaks), as well as the conference trip and dinner. There will be a limited number of fellowships for students presenting a poster, covering full registration fees.
The registration deadline is April 15th, 2017. Check the website to proceed with the registration.
Elsa Prada, IFIMAC-UAM
Alfredo Levy Yeyati, IFIMAC-UAM