Optical and electronic responses of topological matter are fundamental to understand topological properties in real materials. The Berry curvature is behind numerous effects such as the anomalous Hall effect, the spin Hall effect or even heat currents as observed in the anomalous Nerst effect and the thermal Hall effect. Even more interestingly, the Berry curvature has been recently shown to determine novel and sizable non-linear optical effects, non-linear Hall responses without magnetic fields and universal responses of topological metals. Lastly, magnetotransport in topological metals is an exciting frontier to uncover exotic anomalous responses rooted in concepts from high-energy physics, such as the chiral anomaly. In this edition we will tackle all these phenomena, offering a pedagogical and broad picture of the main responses of topological matter.
Topological Matter School 2023 (August 20-25): during one week we will provide extended lectures on these exciting topics by leading experts in both experiment and theory. Our program will be spread in 1 week with 6 lectures per day. Outdoors activities to get to know the city and the Basque culture will also be organized, such a surf class in our precious Zurriola beach.
This is the list of lecturers for the 2023 edition:
- Philip J. W. Moll (Max Planck Institute, Hamburg, Germany)
- Phuan Ong (Princeton University, USA)
- Binghai Yan (Weizmann Institute of Science, Israel)
- Claudia Felser (Max Planck Institute, Dresden, Germany)
- Andrei Bernevig (Princeton University, USA)
- Stepan Tsirkin (University of the Basque Country and CSIC, Spain)
- Dmytro Pesin (University of Virginia, USA)
- Jennifer Cano (Flatiron and Stony Brook University, USA)
- Nadya Mason (University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, USA)
- Qiong Ma (Boston College, USA)
- Prineha Narang (UCLA, USA)
- David Vanderbilt (Rutgers, USA)** to be confirmedRegistration deadline: April 28th 2023.
Registration fee: 350,- € (includes 5 lunches, twice daily coffee breaks at the conference venue, and an event dinner)
This School is organized within the summer program of the University of Basque Country (UPV/EHU) “Cursos de verano”. The event is sponsored by the Donostia International Physics Center (DIPC). The conference venue is in Palacio de Miramar, in Donostia-San Sebastián.