1 PhD Student and 1 Postdoctoral Researcher position
Theory of Electron Transport in Superconducting Devices
at Autonomous University of Madrid
We are looking for one PhD Student and one Postdoctoral Researcher to join the Department of Theoretical Condensed Matter Physics at the Autonomous University of Madrid. Candidates will work on theoretical problems related to electronic transport in superconducting devices in order to design novel applications for quantum technologies. The candidates will join a research group that specializes in both analytical and numerical computations to micro-scopically describe advanced materials such as topological insulators, graphene, and quantum dots, and their interaction with superconductivity and magnetism in hybrid junctions.
The Autonomous University of Madrid is one of the main universities in the sunny capital of Spain. Our group belongs to both the Department of Theoretical Condensed Matter Physics and the Condensed Matter Physics Center IFIMAC. Both positions are funded by the Community of Madrid through the project “Electron Quantum Optics with Superconducting Devices”.
We welcome candidates who enjoy pen and paper calculations and a bit of coding, and have a broad understanding of electronic transport phenomena in solids. We further appreciate willingness to travel, teach and mentor, collaborate and communicate science.
Earliest starting date is September 2021. Available positions:
- 1 PhD Student: candidates must hold a Physics Bachelor’s and Master’s Degree (or equivalent). This position is for 3-4 years, with an annual salary of around 18 000€ before taxes (equivalent to Spanish national PhD studentships).
- 1 Postdoctoral researcher: candidates must hold a PhD in Physics. Prior experience with superconducting hybrid junctions is a bonus. This position is for 2 years, with an annual salary of around 28 000€ before taxes.
How to apply:
Please e-mail your application directly to group leader Dr. Pablo Burset. The applications must include the following attachments as one single PDF document in English:
- A motivation letter, max. 2 pages.
- CV including a list of publications.
- Contact details of at least two referees or, if available, two letters of recommendation.
For additional information, kindly contact Dr. Pablo Burset. The Autonomous University of Madrid reserves the right for justified reasons to leave the position open, to extend the application period, and to reopen the application process. Candidates will be selected in a public, international, and equal-opportunity competition, keeping in mind that women and minorities are under-represented in Physics. We encourage female researchers to apply.
Dr. Pablo Burset
Department of Theoretical Condensed Matter Physics
Universidad Autónoma de Madrid, 28049 Madrid, Spain