Joint postdoc position at the Higgs Centre for Theoretical Physics (Edinburgh) and DIPC (San Sebastian)
Applications are invited for a postdoctoral position at the group of Dr Elton Santos at the Institute for Condensed Matter and Complex Systems, and the Higgs Centre for Theoretical Physics at the University of Edinburgh, UK. You will join an interdisciplinary team with expertise on strongly correlated methods, Monte Carlo techniques and Landau-Lifshitz-Gilbert equation approaches. The successful applicant will be working on the forefront of several research topics on the electronic and magnetic properties of advanced energy materials. In particular, on the next generation of compounds for information platforms including 2D or 3D materials, van der Waals interfaces, Weyl-semimetals, topological insulators. This position provides a unique opportunity to explore fundamentals research in the emerging area of power-efficient device platforms which aims to make smart devices even smarter. Experimental work will be performed in collaboration with world-class groups at the National University of Singapore, Cornell University, Stanford University and UC Berkeley.
- A PhD in Physics, Chemistry or closely related field (condensed matter, quantum-chemistry, numerical methods for solid-state).
- Experience with ab initio calculations and electronic structure methods (Vienna Ab-initio Simulation Package, Quantum-Espresso).
- Experience in coding languages using C/C++ or Fortran, Python, Matlab.
- Experience in magnetism, Monte Carlo simulations and model Hamiltonians.
- Excellent communication skills in presentations and especially in writing original scientific research through peer-reviewed publications.
The initial appointment is for one year with the possibility to be renewed up to 3 years subject to performance and mutual agreement. This project has received funding from the Spanish Ministry of Science’s grant program “Europa-Excelencia” under grant number EUR2020-112238.
The position is shared with the Donostia International Physics Centre in the beautiful city of San Sebastian. Several long visits to Edinburgh will be available during the project. Work remotely may also be considered depending on the candidate application.
The start date is negotiable but immediate start would be desirable.
Interested candidates should arrange
- CV and publication list
- Cover letter or research statement including past achievements and future perspectives.
- Two recommendation letters
To be sent to Dr Elton Santos (email@example.com) for evaluation and interview.
Closing date: May 31st, 2021, or until the position is filled.