Nomination deadline: June, 11th 2021.
In 2013, the European Physical Society launched the Emmy Noether Distinction to recognize noteworthy women physicists having a strong connection to Europe through their nationality or work.
Emmy Noether, with her fundamental and revolutionary work in the areas of abstract algebra and on the conservation laws in theoretical physics, is an exceptional historical figure for all generations – past, present and future – of physicists.
The laureates of the Emmy Noether Distinction are chosen for their capacity to inspire the next generation of scientists, and especially encourage women to pursue a career in physics. Attribution criteria therefore focus on the candidate’s
- research achievements
• endeavours in favour of gender equality and the empowerment of women in physics
• coordination of projects and management activity
• committee memberships
• teaching activities
Nominators are encouraged to address these five points in their proposal.
The EPS Emmy Noether Distinction for Women in Physics is awarded twice a year, in winter and in summer.
The selection committee, appointed by the EPS Equal Opportunities Committee, will consider nominations of women physicists working in Europe for the 2021 Summer Edition of the Emmy Noether Distinction from the end of May 2021. As is customary for the Summer Edition of the Distinction, particular attention will be paid to early and mid-career candidates.
For the present, Summer 2021 edition, the nomination deadline is June, 11th 2021.
To make a nomination, please, email the following information to the EPS Secretariat at email@example.com:
- A cover letter, detailing (in no more than 3 paragraphs) the motivation for awarding the EPS Emmy Noether Distinction to the nominee;
- The nominee’s name, institution and email
- The nominee’s CV
- The nominator’s name, institution, and email
- Optional: No more than 3 support letters
Download the distinction charter at